Weather stripping is a simple yet effective way to improve the energy efficiency of your home. It is a material that seals gaps around doors and windows to prevent drafts and air leaks. By installing weather stripping, you can reduce your energy bills, make your home more comfortable, and help protect against the scorching Arizona heat and those nasty scorpions and other critters that like to call your home their home.
What is Weather Stripping?
Weather stripping can be made from a variety of materials, including rubber, vinyl, and foam. It comes in a range of shapes and sizes to fit different types of gaps. Some common types include:
V-strip: This type of weather stripping is made from a durable plastic material that can be used on the sides and top of doors and windows.
Foam tape: This is a self-adhesive foam tape that can be used on the sides and top of doors and windows.
Door sweeps: This is a strip of material that is attached to the bottom of a door to seal gaps between the door and the floor.
Window film: This is a thin plastic film that is applied to the inside of windows to reduce drafts.
Benefits of Installing Weather Stripping
- Energy Savings: Weather stripping can help reduce the amount of energy you use to heat and cool your home. By sealing gaps around doors and windows, you can prevent air leaks and drafts, which can reduce your energy bills.
- Increased Comfort: It can make your home more comfortable by maintaining a consistent temperature throughout your home by reducing drafts and cold spots.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Weather stripping can help prevent dust, pollen, and other outdoor pollutants from entering your home. This can help improve indoor air quality and reduce allergies and respiratory problems.
- Environmental Protection: By reducing the amount of energy you use to heat and cool your home, weather stripping can help protect the environment by reducing your carbon footprint.
- Keeping the outdoor creatures from invading: Especially during the change of seasons in the spring and fall, those little creepy crawlers like to come inside to get out of the heat and then again in the fall to say warmer.
How to Install Weather Stripping
Installing weather stripping is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
Step 1: Measure the Gaps
The first step is to measure the gaps around your doors and windows. Use a tape measure to measure the length and width of the gaps. This will help you determine how much weather stripping you will need.
Step 2: Choose the Right Weather Stripping
Next, you will need to choose the right type of weather stripping for your needs. There are many different types of weather stripping available, so it is important to choose the one that will work best for your situation. Folks at the place where you purchase the weather stripping should be able to help you choose.
Step 3: Clean the Surface
Before you install the weather stripping, you will need to clean the surface around the door or window. Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe away any dirt or debris. If needed, you may need to use some cleaner or just soap and water. Just be sure that the area is dry before going to the next step.
Step 4: Install the Weather Stripping
Now you are ready to install the weather stripping. Start by applying the weather stripping to the top of the door or window. Make sure to press it firmly against the surface.
Next, apply to the sides of the door or window. Again, make sure it’s pressed firmly against the surface.
Finally, install a door sweep at the bottom of the door to seal any gaps between the door and the floor.
Step 5: Test the Seal
Once you have installed the weather stripping, test the seal to make sure it is tight. Close the door or window and run your hand along the edge to check for any gaps or drafts. If you feel any air coming through, you may need to adjust the weather stripping. If there is a breeze you can also use a candle or match to test and see if there is any air movement.
Installing weather stripping can be a simple and cost-effective way to improve the energy efficiency of your home. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can start enjoying the benefits of a more comfortable home immediately.
In addition to weather stripping, there are other steps you can take to improve the energy efficiency of your home, such as adding insulation, changing your HVAC filters, and using energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances. By taking a comprehensive approach to energy efficiency, you can reduce your energy bills, improve your comfort, and protect the environment.
And if you prefer to have someone else do thise and other handyman chores around your home or property, we’re here to help! Just click here to get a quote for all the things on your list!